– State-level defunding without disbanding school police could undermine and potentially harm our momentum in California
– Abolish = Disband, Disarm, Decriminalize, Document (4 D’s)
– Envision = Reimagine, Redesign, Reinvest, Repair (4 R’s)
– Call: stand with Black Organizing Project and revoke reactionary statutes from the 1980s that authorize and compel school districts to hire school police
– Statewide data, why this is the moment, disbanding vs defunding, do not add harm with false solutions, structural and historical anti-Blackness of school policing.
– Resist false solutions and repackaging/reshuffling school police
– Reject reactionary “public safety” rhetoric from the 1980s (Prop 8)
– Stand with our communities against threats and retaliation from law enforcement
– Revoke 1980s-era statutes that authorized and compelled California school districts to begin hiring school police and creating school police departments like Oakland’s
Stop the Pandemic’s School Pushout: Parent Racial Justice Demands for Emergency Schooling During COVID19
We are the parents, grandparents, foster parents, families and guardians of the children and youth of color whose voices have been missing from schools’ response to this pandemic. We will not have politicians and administrators talking about us or talking over us about what they think our schools need to do. We reject all attempts to call what schools are now providing to our children as anything but emergency education. To call it “distance learning” or “remote learning” only hides how completely inadequate and discriminatory it is. From cities to rural areas, while white and wealthier families move ahead, our students and families are left in confusion, waiting and shut out. These are our demands.